Sunday, November 15, 2015

Welcome to National Bible Week

National Bible Week highlights the Church’s desire that the Word of God be a central focus in all aspects of Catholic life.  (November 15-21)

Each day this week we will offer an idea or a reflection for moving the Word of God, Christ Jesus, closer to the center of your heart. The target? To know, love and serve the LORD and make Him the center of everything we do, and to help families share God's Word together.

My parents taught me to put Jesus at the center of my life, without often speaking much about it. During my rebellious "teen" years I was very worried about my parents' souls. (For me, rebelling meant attending other churches in addition to Sunday mass in my beloved home parish, St. Rose de Viterbo.) I remember, one day, asking Mom whether she and Dad had dedicated their new business to Jesus. She looked at me, puzzled that I should ask her such a question, and said, "Of course." Then returned to her sewing, as if nothing were more natural.

Thank you Eileen McCluskey Daly and James E. Daly! I know you're singing beautifully in the heavenly choirs.


For more info on National Bible Week visit the US Conference of Catholic Bishops at http://www.usccb.org/bible/national-bible-week/index.cfm.