Monday, January 30, 2017

Favorite Bible Bits

Sally Albert, Class of 2009, writes:

"When I was a small child, my father told me, "I’m your father and I love you very much and I can't even imagine how much God loves you!"  Keeping his words in mind and relying on them has helped many times throughout my life.

"This passage from Isaiah confirms that statement for me."

ISAIAH  43:2-5  (Jerusalem Bible)

Do not be afraid, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by your name, you are mine.
Should you pass through the sea, I will be with you;
or through rivers, they will not swallow you up.
Should you walk through fire, you will not be scorched
and the flames will not burn you.
For I am Yahweh, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your saviour.
I gave Egypt for your ransom,
and exchange Cush and Seba for you.
Because you are precious in my eyes,
because you are honoured and I love you,
I give men in exchange for you,
peoples in return for your life.
Do not be afraid, for I am with you.

BJ's Note: I think we sometimes use theological words like "redeem" without really understanding fully what we're saying. This passage from Second Isaiah puts it in a nutshell: I give peoples in return for your life. Of course, in the New Testament we learn that it is even more than "peoples" God gives; it is God's own self. We redeem our spent, unhealthy (sinful) lives by exchanging it for God's own life given to us in Christ Jesus. Thanks for the beautiful reminder, Sally!